What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

Talk to us – we are a welcoming school and are committed to maintaining good communication links with parents. If you have concerns, speak to your child’s Tutor in the first instance and/or arrange an appointment to speak to our  Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) .

How will Castle View Academy staff support my child?

The  SENCO will carefully monitor all provision and the progress of any student requiring additional support across the school.

The class teacher will adapt work or resources  to meet individual needs.

Tutors will review your child’s progress with them following each Progress Point and support them in setting and reviewing goals.

Our Student Services Team will work with you, your child and staff to ensure your child’s social, mental and emotional health needs are supported.

How does Castle View Academy know if children need extra help?

Children may be identified as having SEN/D through a variety of ways including:

  • Liaison with previous school
  • Child performing below age expected level
  • Concerns raised by parent and/or teacher
  • Liaison with external agencies
  • Health diagnosis

As a school we measure progress in learning against national and age related expectations. The school continually assesses each pupil and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed.  We have an SEN Protocol, which is used when a child is not making expected progress, to identify why an individual student is experiencing difficulty and  if SEN intervention is required.

How is the decision made about the type and amount of support my child will receive?

The Child Concern Board meet to discuss the child’s needs  and what support would be appropriate.  In the case of children with a Statement or Education Health & Care Plan, the type and level of support is laid out within the document. There is a formal review  annually where progress is discussed and targets set.

What can I do if I am not happy with the SEN provision made at school?

If you have any concerns about the SEN provision we have made for your child please contact our SENCO in the first instance. We will always attempt to resolve any issues as soon as we can.

You can find the link to our Complaints procedure in the Parent section.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

All teachers are teachers of children with SEND. All teachers plan to include everyone in their lessons and work is provided at the appropriate levels for children to access their learning and make good progress.

The quality of teaching and learning is monitored closely by Heads of Department, and the Senior Management Team.

How ccessible is Castle View Academy?

We make every reasonable adjustment possible.   In October 2017 we moved into a new building that is fully accessible with lifts, rooms and desks suitable for wheelchair uses.  Our new building also includes a dedicated Therapy room.

We have a service level agreement with EMAS (Ethnic Minority Achievement Service) who assist us in supporting children with English as an additional language.

What support is there for improving behaviour, attendance and avoiding exclusion?

As a school we have a very positive approach to all types of behaviour with a clear reward system that is followed by all staff and students.

We use a graduated approach to negative behaviours which gives the student opportunities to make better choices.

We have a team of staff who use a range of internal and external resources to help improve behaviour, attendance and avoid exclusion.

Tutors  review attendance regularly with students. We run half-termly ‘Golden Ticket’ events for students with 100% attendance.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by Castle View Academy?

We work closely with any external agencies that we feel are relevant to individual needs within our school including:

Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Social Services, Educational Psychologists, Occupational Therapists, Speech and Language Therapists, Multi-agency Behaviour Support (MABS), School Nurse, GPs.

What training has staff supporting children with SEND had?

Our SENCO has an Advanced Diploma in Education for SEN and  a Diploma in Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD).  Our Specialist Dyslexia Teacher holds the same qualifications.  SEN Support Assistants are trained in delivering reading and spelling programmes, Social Skills and language programmes.  The English Department has HLTAs who are trained to deliver literacy and reading programmes.

A large number of staff are Emotional First Aiders and we have whole school  training on SEND issues.

The Guided Learning Hub is managed by an experienced teacher who previously worked for the Multi-Agency Behaviour Support Service and has provided City wide training in ASD and Behaviour Management.

All staff receive safeguarding training in line with Portsmouth City Council recommendations.

Who can I contact for further information?

SENCO – Chris Bailey – Ext 244

Student Support
June Nancarrow – Ext 280
Shelley Richardson, Pauline Sisk  –  Ext  261

EWO  – Lisa House – Ext 284

The Guided Learning Hub
David Boxall Ext 228

The school is part of United Learning. United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12.
Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB. Tel: 01832 864 444

United Learning